“Those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up on wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)
If waiting upon the LORD renews our strength, then why on earth do we keep running ahead of Him?
The pursuit of happiness
Aren’t we all familiar with these situations: waiting for God to intervene while he seems to be busy elsewhere, not even listening to us. Our most natural response is to work things out ourselves.
We want what we want, the way we want, when we want (meaning now!).
So we start planning, taking action, forcing our way through and trying to lay hold of… what actually?
- Our career – the job we always dreamed of, the pay we need to secure us the standard of living we desire.
- Marriage – Mr or Mrs Right has still not shown up despite our diligent prayers and us reading all dating and marriage books the Christian book shops have on offer.
- Our status – we want to be accepted and respected, in church, in politics or elsewhere.
It’s the pursuit of happiness – desperate to live the dream
We are control-freaks
Although we know, we should take everything to the Lord in prayer, we cannot stand unanswered prayer for too long. And since we like being in control, we take matters into our own hands.
Maybe we give it a religious labelling (“I’m stepping out in faith”); while really we are fed up waiting so we try to push God to start moving.
The result is striving, working and wearing ourselves out.
Worse even, we might leave some scorched earth behind us on our path to success. Colleagues kicked out of the way, neglected families, estranged friends. While eventually we might get what we want, will it be worth the cost?
Soaring like eagles – effortlessly
God promises if we wait on Him, we will renew our strength. There will be no need to strive. We will rise up – not by climbing the tiresome mountains in our lives, but as on wings of an eagle, spreading out our wings, soaring.
No hurt, now exhaustion, no “collateral damage” on the way. God will bring to pass what he has promised us.
- Strength in the secret place (Isaiah 40:31 – pt 2)
- Always pray, don’t give up
- Pray. Give it to God. Continue praying.
- Our Father in Heaven? Obedience without reservation.
- A future and a hope
Pin for later: